- May 20, 2021
- Posted by: Sohrab Sattar
- Category: Uncategorized
Are you aware of the fact that your business might be at a risk of being infringed if not registered? Things can get worse if the infringer gets your idea registered before you, making you prone to hefty lawsuits and other legal penalties. Oh Yes that’s true, and the only way out is to get your brand registered as soon as possible. This blog post is all you need to know about the trademark registration process in Pakistan.
Registering a Trademark is imperative for every business be it a small, medium or a large enterprise. It promises and ascertains protection to your asset from any attempt of duplication. Apart from that, It provides uniqueness to your brand and it’s products and makes it distinct which increases your brand’s credibility and worth in the eyes of its potential audience. Speaking in the paradigm of Pakistan, where every other local fast food’s menu will have a “Zinger ” on it though the product’s name is a trademark of KFC, trademark registration in Pakistan becomes a necessity.
Trademark registration process in Pakistan comes in two ways, here’s how you can get a trademark registration in Pakistan:
- Self registration
- Representative registration
This is a type of trademark registration in Pakistan in which an individual personally applies for the registration process without consulting or hiring any attorney or law firm.
This is a type of trademark registration in Pakistan in which you consult and hire an attorney or law firm which will take care of the trademark registration process in Pakistan for you.
What is the trademark registration fee in pakistan?:
Trademark registration fees in Pakistan are surprisingly affordable. The entire trademark registration process in Pakistan is complete isa rough estimate of 6000 or so.
Take a look at registration fee we have characterized for you:
- Trademark registration fee for searching a trademark is Rs. 500.
- Trademark registration fee for application filing is Rs. 1000.
- Trademark registration fee for certificate filing is Rs. 3000.
- Trademark registration fee for other miscellaneous expenses is Rs. 1500.
Is the trademark registration process in Pakistan possible online?
Trademark registration process in Pakistan is available for both local and overseas Pakistanis as various law firms offer online registration services. Online trademark registration process in Pakistan follows the same on-ground process of registration leaving all the payments and documentation processed online.
Step by Step guide to Trademark registration process in Pakistan :
- Comprehensive Search:
When applying for the trademark, a detailed search conducted by TMR takes place to check if a trademark with the similar name or design exists or not. If it does, you’ll have to change your mind and if not, you’re good to go.
- Trademark filing:After the search has been conducted you’re asked to fill the form providing all the necessary details and the products that you intend to get registered are categorized.
After submitting the application, it undergoes an examination phase which lasts for 5 days to thoroughly check for any objections and if not, your application is processed further.
- Approval :
After the 15 days period is over and your application has successfully gone through examination without any objections, it is approved.
- Publication in the journal: Upon approval the trademark is published in the monthly digital journal for the public to see the list of registered trademarks
- Opposition period: After the publication in the monthly digital journal a period of 2 months is given for objections from the general public if they have any.
If no objection is raised within the 2 months period, the trademark gets registered.
At this very moment now you know everything you should know about the trademark registration process in Pakistan. No leave your couches and rush to get your brand registered today.